So I finally bit the bullet and upgraded to macOS Sierra. 10.12.4 and then the next day they released 10.12.5. I think I tried once before to upgrade, but maybe it was to El Capitan? I’m not entirely sure, but regardless, whatever the install did, I ended up having to flash my motherboard’s BIOS in order to get back to Yosemite.
Because the newer versions switched to Clover from Chimera as a bootloader, I decided to go with a fresh install rather than an upgrade. For whatever reasons I had problems in a prior attempt, this Sierra went on without any problems. The hardest thing about it was acquiring all the software I’ve amassed and getting the serials, registration and everything from the developers websites, etc.
Some plugin companies I think counted this as an additional activation whereas some didn’t. I guess it depends on how they do what they do. Also, Apple’s Keychain in the Cloud is wonderful. Anything in Safari – all the usernames and passwords were saved and it wasn’t like it was all new compared to Firefox where I had to figure all that stuff out or have passwords reset or sent by email.
Biggest thing for me? iMessage! I haven’t had iMessage in a very long time due to whatever Apple did to their network. It’s still kind of wonky at this point, but working all the same. I can’t seem to talk to immediate family, so I don’t know if that’s an AppleID thing or what.
Anyway, this Hackintosh has been great since I built it (however many years ago on whatever operating system). It’s been like a real Mac in every way. The only thing that changed along the way was I decided to go to 4k and that required a beefier video card. That video card requires a driver in order to run. I found out the hard way that if Apple releases a new version of their operating system, I have to wait until I’m sure there is a new Nvidia driver available. First couple times I just edited the version number in the Nvidia driver, but now I just wait.
What made me do it was my son Frank upgraded to Sierra on his Macbook Pro so I created the boot USB to go forward but have been putting it off until I didn’t need my computer for work. Then my oldest, Jim bought/built a Hackintosh and was having issues with it. I thought that installing it on mine may help in me being able to help him with issues he’s been having getting all the stuff to work. Unfortunately, my success is still seeing him suffer. I had him bring the machine over and I installed everything from scratch and got the same results he did. I suggested he get in the forums and read and possibly post if he finds no joy. This is by no means to deter anyone from the Hackintosh experience. I couldn’t be happier.
I just upgraded to Mac OSX Lion 3 months ago after waiting for whatever reason to upgrade. I decided this time that I was gonna be one of those people that upgraded as soon as the new version was released.
I didn’t camp out in line or anything to get the new OSX Operating System, I simply downloaded it and ran it.
The only weird thing about the upgrade was that when the machine rebooted into doing the installation, the brightness on my 17″ MacBook Pro was turned what seemed to be all the way up. The brightness keys didn’t turn it down, so the whole time the screen was really really bright. Other than that, everything smooth as the Lion upgrade. Only thing required was the waiting. Waiting for the download of the 4+ gigabyte installer and then the time it took to install.
The install itself got to one point and said 5 minutes left and then jumped back up to 20 minutes left. I thought it hit a snag and was re-installing Lion or something as I have an Early 2008 MacBook Pro which is supposed to be compatible with Mountain Lion but FUD said otherwise.
My other concern was running Avid Pro Tools 10.2 under Mountain Lion and I’ve fired it up and ran some sessions through it and all seems to be fine.
I did this on my secondary system which I hardly boot into, but will have to see how it works out and then install on my main HD. To be honest, the only thing I’ve noticed is the Notifications in the top menu bar (of which I’ve had none) and the addition of Reminders and Notes in the dock.
My gosh! Try to stay current but shoot yourself in the foot much?
portaudit does the wondrous job of letting me know port vulnerabilities each and every day … We like “0 problems found” to be returned in our daily email, yes? So when there is ports that need to be updated, I usually give it the ol’ portupgrade -aRr to cover everything.
In this last update, proftpd went and modularized everything. I noticed this because I have one server utilizing the MySQL version so as to easily handle virtual users and provide temporary accounts to transfer music files for the studio. So I figure how I have to update the conf file with the proper settings to get proftpd running. Finally when it is happy, logins are failing and I don’t know why. I find in /var/log/messages that there’s a chroot problem … Tracking this down shows that I need to update my FreeBSD version due to this security vulnerability that proftpd is detecting.
Now off to the make buildworld and some hours of compiling. Can’t just build the kernel. Blast!
~$ rvm install 1.9.3-head
~$ rvm requirements
I was on XCode 3 (from Snow Leopard) – Need minimum 4.1 for Lion – NO 4.3!
XCode 4.3.3 from App Store June 12, 2012
XCode Command Line Tools (Pref->Downloads)
rvm says DOWNGRADE XCode 4.3! (If problems)
~$ rvm install 1.9.3-head
install homebrew (because of autoconf)
brew install automake
~$ rvm install 1.9.3-head – worked!
rvm use 1.9.3-head –default
gem install rails
Finally upgraded to Mac OS X Lion 10.7.3 from the App Store. Conflicting reviews and horror stories. My main concern was that Pro Tools 10.1.2 would work with it and that’s sort of the reasons for the Pro Tools updates was Lion compatibility …
I found that I really wanted the ability to share iCal with my wife, computer and iPhone so I needed Lion’s iCloud integration for that to keep it simple … Right off the bat I found this to work flawlessly and I also haven’t had any problems with Lion to speak of until … now …
This is why I decided to update my bLog here since there hasn’t been an update in a while and that I am having this problem right now with Lion. Things do seem to have slowed down. It’s not completely clear as to why and there could be several theories … A plugin I used with Pro Tools called muteTone decided to hang Pro Tools when trying to remove the plugin … I only need it for tracking and then I can remove it … This is used for 3rd party interfaces and Pro Tools inability to control input monitoring via their software (which every other DAW has and always had).
To attempt to fix the muteTone issue, it’s possible that I messed with some MIDI settings that had been moved out to the “Incompatible Software” folder when Lion installed. I followed Avid’s advice to install the Pro Tools 9 drivers for all hardware … I have since removed it, but I also used the MIDI driver update from Avid, and I think that may not have been necessary … Regardless, all MIDI stuff works, just not muteTone … (I had been working with the author of the plugin to try to fix) … The current state is that muteTone can be removed if it’s deactivated first … He suggested I live with that until the AAX release. “AAX” is Avid’s new plugin format. muteTone is free …
Also, NeoOffice needs to be upgraded for Lion … The only upgrade for Lion requires that I pay … I don’t want to pay for NeoOffice … I have Pages … I use NeoOffice to open files sent to me by those that are not keen to Mac … I have been Microsoft Windows free since 2008 and have NEVER looked back … Simply the worst form of software ever ruined by many individuals … That poor guy that stopped when Bill Gates handed him $50K should have continued to develop his own system … Anyway, NeoOffice informs me that if I continue to use the current version that I should save often in anticipation of the program crashing … Since I don’t care if it crashes, I’m good … But, maybe loading it adversely affects my pleasantly running system? Only time can tell …
So in conclusion, it’s just like any other computer issue … The person running it has a lot to do with how well it runs … Decisions by the operator affect how system stability is maintained … I do think I need to get a beefier system … I’m typing this entry via the first Mac I bought … Running the latest software and chugging along just fine, but I think maybe I deserve a little zippier Pro Tools and graphics stuffs …
Wednesday October 12th, 2011 marks the release of Apple’s IOS5 for the iPhone and iPad. Searches on the web show failing upgrades and I also am experiencing this failure.
Apps: I upgraded iTunes to the latest and greatest and updated my OS X 10.6.8 with all the latest and greatest. Still, no joy. Before upgrading the iPhone’s OS I like to get all my apps up to date and have a successful Sync. Even when I try to upgrade the apps, I am stymied. I click on the Apps tab in iTunes with a 17 next to it to bring up the Apps screen. At the bottom it reports “17 Updates Available” I click on that and get to the next screen. The “Download all free updates” button is at the top and when I click on that I get a new “Terms and Conditions” that I guess is the result of the new version of iTunes. I click on the “I have read…” check box and click on the Agree button. Your request could not be completed. It says something about my clock being correct or something … and the resulting web help page refers me to Windows iTunes problems.
IOS5: So, maybe in order to upgrade these apps I need to have the new IOS5 software installed on my phone since these apps have surely been updated due to the new IOS5 release. I tried 3 times and each time I get the message that my iPhone cannot be restored at this time, there was an internal error.
Web searching, and I read others woes in the same boat as me. I’m also having intermittent iTunes password problems. I even went through the process of changing my password. Hassle.
I don’t waste any time and call AppleCare: I paid for it, I use it. After 10-15 minutes on hold, I get a guy that doesn’t handle this particular issue and he has to transfer me to the iTunes people. It’s announced that my wait time is now 5 minutes or less and after about a minute I get a guy. I explain the issues and basically I’m told that the Apple servers are overloaded and that if I wait 3 hours it should work fine. That isn’t stopping me from trying to upgrade the apps, but the IOS5 update is a long process that wants to backup the iPhone each time and that takes a long time to complete …
Here’s hoping that that’s all it is. Mass upgrading resulting in overloaded iTunes servers.
Regarding Verizon.Net :: A change on the PF firewall’s rule set. Forever the bridge was never in the ruleset and everything seemed to work just fine. Finally, because of the proper testing environment, found out it was my own problem all along. Added rules to address the bridge interface directly. Those rules never seemed to have been needed before … or were they?
Regarding the Wireless Router :: I gave up on it as the MBP17 acted flaky since I unplugged the hard wire … The MBP15 seemed okay with it and remained logged in to IRC room on #pf (which is where I was seeking firewall help) and I guessed at the bridge rule … It happened to work … Anyway, I plugged the cables back in and I think I’m going to try the router that I originally bought that fixed all the problems before … Last resort is to buy Apple’s wireless router.
Now digging through all old email, etc and finding email addresses that I need to send an update to … It seems I haven’t sent a newsletter since 2007 .. Hmpf! Well, no new is good news, right?
A quick update to let you know how Andy Reid and I are alike … I’ve goofed.
Number 1: I thought the Internet was slow from the new connection and called service to have it diagnosed. All the while placing the blame on them, it was I who had coded in the firewall rules the throttling for the old T1. After I changed the values to reflect the much higher speed that is now available, lo and behold it smokes now.
Number 2: While poking in the firewall I started thinking about my Verizon woes again and decided to try to tackle this once again since this problem of not being able to connect has plagued me through 3 or 4 Internet connections. For the first time I was able to connect through my connection, but not through my firewall. With my firewall “opened up” for the mail server, it still will not work over the bridge. I can telnet to hotmail perfectly fine and then in the very next command watch telnet time-out to Verizon.net. I feel that I’m closer to a solution though as I now have something to go by and it’s been my fault all along. So I should take down my “Verizon Sucks” post?
Number 3: The post that’s gotten the most comments here was about the Mac and the Self Assigned IP. While not everyone has used my solution, they’re thanking me for the posting of someone else’s solution. That’s fine. Since my solution was a Belkin router, when I started to move things over to the new location I bought the very same router. Shortly into my Internet usage, the wireless signal would be lost after a certain amount of time. Not the IP problem, just connectivity. Weird. I made sure that the configurations were the same with original router and this new one. They were. I couldn’t figure it out, so I hard-wired and it’s been that way ever since. For some reason I went in the router recently and noticed the Firmware Update. It was two releases behind. I upgraded the firmware, popped out the network cables and have been wireless ever since. Did the newer router come purchased with an older firmware? I won’t know until I check the old router, but if I were a betting man …
You learn something new everyday. I’m not entirely opposed to admitting when I’ve done something wrong, but I sure thought in the first two cases that I was right. The last here is an honest mistake I think … What say you?
So I’ve been doing my thing. Trying to get the gist of it all and get things in place, working, etc … and then they start with this Rails 3.0 stuff that it doesn’t seem I can run …
What I mean is, developers seemed to have moved on to Rails 3 but I don’t understand how. I decided, okay, it’s an RC (Release Candidate) so I’ll take the plunge and install it on a public server and start developing. Welp, Rails 3 requires ruby 1.9.2 far as I know and I can’t get that installed successfully in a FreeBSD environment when the latest ruby is 1.8.7 (2009-12-24 patchlevel 248) (which currently has a UTF-7 encoding XSS vulnerability in WEBrick.) … sure 1.9.2 will install, but it doesn’t install a “ruby” binary, it’s called ruby19 and you have to symlink or copy it to “ruby” … Why?
Can you run rvm on a production server? Would you? Why?
In Rails defense, their website isn’t advocating a new release nor to install it, yet touts how many people are running it in production already … Bah! Cutting edge.
In other words, I think there’s just still too much stuff up in the air to actually try to massage Rails 3 into place before the rest of the world is ready for it. I mean, Rails isn’t the only thing in my servers that use ruby …
… A couple hours later UPDATE: Ruby 1.9.2 Released